Re: history of Komuso

From: Rich Powers (rpowers@stanford.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 20:25:54 PST

--=====================_9734717==_.ALT

You might not find this at your local public library, but if you are lucky
enough to find a library that participates in JSTOR (electronic journal
storage) you can print out the full article from a PDF file:

Shakuhachi Zen. The Fukeshu and Komuso
James H. Sanford
Monumenta Nipponica, Vol. 32, No. 4. (Winter, 1977), pp. 411-440.

Rich

--=====================_9734717==_.ALT

you are lucky enough to find a library that participates in JSTOR
(electronic journal storage) you can print out the full article from a
PDF file:<br>
James H. Sanford<br>
<i>Monumenta Nipponica</i>, Vol. 32, No. 4. (Winter, 1977), pp.
411-440.<br>
Rich<br>
At 08:07 PM 3/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:<br>
FAQ, but can anyone help me find<br>
good references on the history of the Komuso movement? I'm not looking
for<br>
just the usual lineage charts, but descriptions of the day-to-day in
the<br>
schools, actual stories of the day-to-day lives of the Komuso monks
(if<br>
known?) Detailed histories if this information is available...
thanks!<br>
Brett &quot;Bud&quot; Breitwieser ( bud@zenbud.com
&lt;<a href="mailto:bud@zenbud.com" eudora="autourl">mailto:bud@zenbud.com</a>&gt;
)<br>
please visit my zen site at
zen hermit mailing list:
http://www.coollist.com/group.cgi?l=zenhermit" eudora="autourl">http://www.coollist.com/group.cgi?l=zenhermit><br>
Impermanence:<br>
&quot;To what shall<br>
I liken the world?<br>
Moonlight, reflected<br>
In dewdrops,<br>
Shaken from a crane's bill.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -Dogen-Zenji<br>