What is an FAQ

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 11:09:25 PST

A few folks have written to ask the question in the subject line,
so...

An FAQ is a list of Frequently Asked Questions. Such a list is
often maintained in the archives of a mailing list or a newsgroup so
that newcomers to the discussion can read up on the topics that
arise often and save the list a lot of repetative traffic (not that
we ever get tired of answering the question "What book can I buy and
learn the shakuhachi from?" :-)

A while back, Ron Nelson suggested these as topics for such a list:

Do I need a teacher?
What makes a quality flute?
Does the shape matter?
Where do I buy a flute?
Where do I get recordings?
Why is tsu meri always sharp?

I think this is a pretty good start on an FAQ. Now if I just had the
time to pull the discussion responses to those questions from the
archive, I'd have an *actual* start.

And it is nice to see folks taking a hand in creating the list of
definitions.

Keep 'em coming folks,

bj

-