Re: What is an FAQ

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 13:04:08 PST

>From kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU Wed Mar 13 12:03:57 2002
>
>Why is tsu meri always sharp? (or flat because one is always
>overcompensating)...

Never had a flute where I could "overcompensate" enough to make
tsu-no-meri flat. Would that I did. Masa is always finding
pieces that call for dai-otsu-tsu-no-meri.

I can drag the pitch down to an E flat-flat/almost D, but it's
never enough for a teacher who has perfect pitch (and whose
favorite comment seems to be "INTONATION. INTONATION" :-)

Too sharp? too tight ane embrochure? not enough meri? not enough
practice?

oh, and it's easily the most difficult note on the instrument, yes?

My first teacher told me a story where she went for a group lesson
(I think she said with Yamamoto Hozan) many years ago. The first
thing the teacher had each student do was blow otsu-no-tsu-no-meri.

He immediately knew the level of each student.

maybe we should all be blowing 10 minutes of otsu-no-tsu-no-meri
instead of otsu-no-ro...

bj

-