Re: What is an FAQ

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 12:49:37 PST

Bruce Jones wrote:

> Never had a flute where I could "overcompensate" enough to make
> tsu-no-meri flat. Would that I did. Masa is always finding
> pieces that call for dai-otsu-tsu-no-meri.

Bruce, it's not the flute. It's up to the player. You need to learn to
play from deep in your throat. Don't blow so much as barely breathe.
There are a number of things we can do to lower the pitch. Here's what
I've learned:

1) lower chin
2) push flute into chin
3) barely breathe into flute
4) open throat very wide
5) think low
6) cover more of the hole

Pracice doing all these at the same time and you'll be able to play
Tsu-no-dai-no-mer after awhile. Later you can give it a breathy sound
to increase the tone without going sharp.

Goood luck

Peter

> bj
>
> -