Re: Hocchiku

From: Reg Tanaban (reg418@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 16:01:54 PST

Regarding the recent discussion on "hocchiku", I was wondering which
schools/people use this term to distinguish their instrument from
"shakuhachi". I ask this because, in my latest trip to Japan, I had the
opportunity to meet many Myoan shakuhachi players in the Kansai and Shikoku
area; but although they might refer to their "shakuhachi" as "hoki" (ritual
or holy instrument) as opposed to "gakki" (musical instrument) in a
discussion on the nature of their attitude toward the instrument, and
probably would go along with the description "hocchiku" (ritual or holy
bamboo) to describe their shakuhachi, I never heard them using this specific
word. So I am wondering if "hocchiku" is in fact a relatively recent term
initiated by people in response to the perception that the shakuhachi was
increasingly taking on a secular or strictly artistic role, and/or if it is
an old term used by the komuso to distinguish their instrument from, say,
the hitoyogiri or some other bamboo flute. From the description of the
hocchiku and its dimensions, and my very limited knowledge of shakuhachi of
the past, it seems to me these modern-day hocchiku are decidedly larger and
thicker than the Edo-period shakuhachi. However, big and thick shakuhachi
has been used by at least as far back as the time of Myochin Sozan (a
contemporary of Higuchi Taizan) - although, having said that, it's true
Myochin's huge shakuhachi actually had a fairly narrow bore (made by very
heavy lacquering), which makes playing them and their sound quality
distinctive from the hocchiku flutes described elsewhere. What is Mr.
Kodama's view on the ideal neiro (tone color) of the hocchiku?

Related to the question of who in the shakuhachi world prefers the term
"hocchiku" to "shakuhachi" is the term Alcvin mentioned - "kyotaku". I've
seen one person/school use this term to describe their shakuhachi, and that
is the Nishimura Koku of the Tani-ha Myoan school. Are there others, or do
most people who use "hocchiku" use "kyotaku" interchangeably, and
vice-versa?