shakuhachi sleuthing.

From: adam friedman (earthymusic@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 08:23:48 PST

Hello Everyone,

This hocchiku discussion has been quite interesting. My background has been in Tozan playing so I'm eagerly digesting the new insights.

A quick web search revealed this relevant article:
http://www.twics.com/~djack/bamstor2.html

Perhaps those of you with a more discerning ear for hocchiku can clear up a lingering question for me?

A while ago I purchased the Splendor of the Shakuhachi CD on Playasound. The CD contains some really evocative and powerful playing by Michiaki Okada. While, I've heard a number of recordings by hocchiku players (Watazumi and Tesshin Sakaguchi for instance), Okada's sound has a fantastic density, compactness and propulsive quality.

His great playing aside, I'd love to know why that particular shakuhachi sounds so different.

Many thanks in advance!

Adam Friedman