RE: Are you a Shakunewbie

From: Brian K. Miller (millerbk@rconnect.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 16:58:00 PST

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

OK, here is my brief story....

About 10 years ago, a friend loaned me his copy of Riley Lee's album -
"Oriental Sunrise". The first time I ever heard shakuhachi - and I fell in
love with it's deeply expressive sounds in Riley's hands. Along came the
Internet several years later, and the ability to do a little research into this
evocative instrument. To my joy, I discovered I could buy a PVC shak
for a minimum investment - so, for my 49th birthday, off went my
check. Later came a "real" bamboo shak, and now, at 52, I'm hooked
for life.

When I was 10, I played the clarinet, then switched to guitar (after my 7th
grade band teacher to me that my odds of being a world class clarinetist
were dubious!) and later to mandolin. But, I think the sound of wind and
wood has always been a part of my psyche. However, I doubt
that I would have had the patience and perseverance at a much younger
age to stick with the shak. It's been a hard, but fair teacher -
bringing rewards more than equal to the effort.

Cheers,

  Brian

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1251" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.3105.105" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>OK, here is my brief story....</DIV>
<DIV>About 10 years ago, a friend loaned me his copy of Riley Lee's album - "Oriental Sunrise".&nbsp; The first time I ever heard shakuhachi - and I fell in love with it's deeply expressive sounds in Riley's hands. Along came the Internet several years later, and the ability to do a little research into this evocative instrument.&nbsp; &nbsp;To my joy, I discovered I could buy a PVC shak for a minimum investment - so,&nbsp;for my 49th birthday, off went my check.&nbsp;&nbsp;Later came a "real" bamboo shak, and now, at 52, I'm hooked for life.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>When I was 10, I played the clarinet, then switched to guitar (after my 7th grade band teacher to me that my&nbsp;odds of being a world class clarinetist were dubious!) and later to mandolin.&nbsp; But, I think the sound of wind and wood&nbsp;has always been&nbsp;a part of my psyche.&nbsp;&nbsp; However, I doubt that I would have had the patience and perseverance at a much younger age&nbsp;to stick with the shak.&nbsp; It's been a hard, but fair teacher - bringing rewards more than equal to the effort.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; Brian</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--