Hocchiku

From: Stephan Brunner (stephan.brunner@bluewin.ch)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 12:38:59 PST

I followed the discussion with great interest and want to sharte just my
little experience.
Playing shakuhachi now for twoe years i recently started with Choshi and Hi
fu mi, which I play in the myoan-taizan style my teacher instructed me.
I have a hocchiku, made by Kodama-san. If I compare this simple pieces on
both flutes, than on the shakuhachi it is more straight, more direct, more
musical. WIth the hocchiku or take, it is more windy, more wood, more
breath (maybe according to my poor playing:-))
I like both of them, but I think it is a different approach, even if one is
not following the pure path of Watazumido.

With best greetings from Switzerland,

Stephan