Re: questions about shakuhachi care and learning

From: Ralf Muhlberger (ralf@muhlberger.com)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 20:28:18 PST

Michael asked:

> My other question concerns learning to play. What book(s) are recommended
> for the beginner? I'd like to learn traditional notation if possible. On
> the other hand I am unlikely to find a teacher here. Any good
> self-instruction manuals available which you can recommend?

I'm currently categorising and editing all posts since 2000 into a faq,
and as it happens the first page to be finished, other than the draft
index, is the few comments on beginners books:

   http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~ralf/shakuhachi-faq/start-books.html

Hopefully I should have all the rest of the posts processed by the end
of this coming weekend, and will then load them up to the site, which
will probably move to the list server eventually (makes more sense
really). The index reflects the 9 major categories, but not anywhere
near what will be covered under those lists by next week. And only the
index and the books page are currently on-line, just in case you want
to explore and feel disappointed.

I expect you'll enjoy the list as much as the rest of us do, and happy
blowing.

Friendly regards,

Ralf