Re: Left handed / Right handed ?

From: Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin (Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 08:46:33 PST

--B_3099642393_709077

> [...]
> instruments starting with the 2.1'. Shakuhachi is hard enough without hav=
ing
> to struggle with the physiological demands of holding the bamboo. Ergonom=
ic
> arrangement of the finger holes allows the player to focus on the many ot=
her
> demands and challenges of learning to blow shakuhachi. In longer instrume=
nts I
> have made for Koga Masayuki-sensei of the Japanese Music Institute, he fi=
rst
> insisted on a straight alignment, but was later won over by the staggered
> arrangement. For folks who use the right hand on top, the offset is the s=
ame
> but reversed. Another issue to consider is which part of the index finger=
 is
> used to cover the #2 or TSU hole. The tip, second or, on very long chokan=
,
> even the third joint can be used. Hole offset must be designed with this =
in
> mind.
>=20
> By the way, alignment of the finger holes on the shakuhachi has no effect=
 on
> pitch which is only affected by vertical distance of the hole to the blow=
ing
> edge.
>=20
> All the best.
>=20
> Monty
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Subject: Left handed / Right handed ?
>=20
>> I have a related question. When I started playing a little less than a =
year
>> ago, it just felt more natural for me to have my right hand on top and l=
eft
>> on bottom. I'm left handed. I'm not sure if that is the "normal" right
>> handed way or not. But it concerns me in the sense of getting a longer =
flute
>> where the maker would probably offset the finger holes for easier finger=
ing.
>> How are the holes placed on a long flute where right hand is on top vs. =
left.
>>=20
>>> I was just curious as to the differences with what I would call left or
>>> right handed Shakuhachi. Were they traditionally made one way or the ot=
her
>>> or was it always a personal thing as to which hand is upper most and wh=
ich
>>> is lower. Does dexterity really play a part here as it seems both hands=
 are
>>> used equally to me. When I see photos of others playing I have noticed =

--B_3099642393_709077

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Left handed / Right handed ?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Tahoma">In my experience , at least =
80% of all players also choose to &nbsp;use the left hand on top style. Inde=
ed, if you are thinking of ever playing the really long flutes (as Monty has=
 mentioned), they are almost always &#8220;set-off&#8221; to favor the left-=
hand-on-top style. So, if by some chance (unlikely) that it &nbsp;feels the =
same with either hand on top, one may seriously consider using the left-hand=
-on-top style.<BR>
<BR>
However, when a person starts playing the Shakuhachi ,I don&#8217;t (and I =
haven&#8217;t heard that other instructors do either) tell the person which =
hand to put on top. There is no difference other than the one noted above. I=
 believe that wherever your hands tell you that they want to be, is the corr=
ect way.<BR>
<BR>
Ronnie<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Hi Tony and Doug,<BR>
<BR>
Observing that some of the best known players in Japan &nbsp;-- including Y=
okoyama Katsuya and Kurahashi Yoshio -- hold their shakuhachi with the right=
 hand on top, I broached this question to Nakamura Ginetsu, my bamboo harves=
ting teacher and a shakuhachi maker for over 40 years. (He too hold the flut=
e in this way.) Most players I know outside of Japan use the opposite arrang=
ement.<BR>
<BR>
Nakamura-sensei explained that since left-handedness is uncommon in Japan, =
many players purposely train themselves to hold the shakuhachi in this manne=
r. Three of the five holes on the flute, including the all-important back ho=
le requiring great dexterity, can thus be fingered with the dominant right h=
and. You might say this is an attempt by these players to get the &quot;uppe=
r-hand&quot; in performing honkyoku. (Ouch!).<BR>
<BR>
As a maker, I am a proponent of offsetting the finger holes on the longer i=
nstruments starting with the 2.1'. Shakuhachi is hard enough without having =
to struggle with the physiological demands of holding the bamboo. Ergonomic =
arrangement of the finger holes allows the player to focus on the many other=
 demands and challenges of learning to blow shakuhachi. In longer instrument=
s I have made for Koga Masayuki-sensei of the Japanese Music Institute, he f=
irst insisted on a straight alignment, but was later won over by the stagger=
ed arrangement. For folks who use the right hand on top, the offset is the s=
ame but reversed. Another issue to consider is which part of the index finge=
r is used to cover the #2 or TSU hole. The tip, second or, on very long chok=
an, even the third joint can be used. Hole offset must be designed with this=
 in mind.<BR>
<BR>
By the way, alignment of the finger holes on the shakuhachi has no effect o=
n pitch which is only affected by vertical distance of the hole to the blowi=
ng edge.<BR>
<BR>
All the best.<BR>
<BR>
Monty<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Subject: Left handed / Right handed ?<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">=
I have a related question. &nbsp;When I started playing a little less than a=
 year ago, it just felt more natural for me to have my right hand on top and=
 left on bottom. I'm left handed. &nbsp;I'm not sure if that is the &quot;no=
rmal&quot; right handed way or not. &nbsp;But it concerns me in the sense of=
 getting a longer flute where the maker would probably offset the finger hol=
es for easier fingering. &nbsp;How are the holes placed on a long flute wher=
e right hand is on top vs. left. <BR>
</FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I was just curious as =
to the differences with what I would call left or right handed Shakuhachi. W=
ere they traditionally made one way or the other or was it always a personal=
 thing as to which hand is upper most and which is lower. Does dexterity rea=
lly play a part here as it seems both hands are used equally to me. When I s=
ee photos of others playing I have noticed about half and half.<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3099642393_709077--