Re: The buzz

From: Mark Miller (markm@naropa.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 16:00:15 PST

--------------A1CE17AB8D8E25949242B766

If it's the soft, high pitches you're referring to, they're sometimes
called "whisper tones" and yes, they have been used in making music. If
you're interested you could check out the classical flutist Robert Dick, I
seem to remember that he uses them in contemporary western (classical)
flute music.

I like to play around with them, try to stabilize the pitch and use them
in improvisation, both on shakuhachi and western flute.

Mark Miller

Patterson Clark wrote:

> Is there a Japanese name (and translation) for the little high-pitched
> buzzing sounds that heckle my Ro, especially while I'm warming up?
>
> Has anyone cultivated these squeaks into music?
>
> Patterson

--------------A1CE17AB8D8E25949242B766
 name="markm.vcf"

begin:vcard
n:Miller;Mark
tel;work:303-546-5282
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.naropa.edu
org:Naropa University ;InterArts Studies Department
version:2.1
email;internet:markm@naropa.edu
title:Associate Professor of Music
adr;quoted-printable:;;2130 Arapahoe Ave.=0D=0A;Boulder;CO;80302;USA
fn:Mark Miller
end:vcard

--------------A1CE17AB8D8E25949242B766--