RE: Busking

From: Perry Yung (slantgroup@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 07:32:22 PST

Hi Stav,
      I did research for a character role I created for a
show called HIGH based on subway denizens of NYC. The
character was, in fact, a shakuhachi busker in the subways.
The show was basically a downtown experimental opera with
three charaters playing on found objects such as cans and
bottles along with the shakuhachi and drums.
  I had a lot of fun doing the research. The people who
reponded did so with lots on enthusiasm,
asking what the instrument was and where they could find
CDs. I could see them trying to remember the name as they
boarded the trains. Many times, the platforms were too noisy
and the shakuhachi either could not be heard or was
competing with other buskers.
      On numerous outtings, I met other musicians who wanted
to jam so we ended up improvising since we never knew the
same songs. My favorite was with a pair of Mexican twins
who played classical guitars. I just improvised as they
played and sang in Spanish. Another great jam was with a
group of African djembe drummers. I had to pull out the 1.3
and play mostly in kan to cut through the drums.
    The only time I made any money was a few days after
9-11. I went to the long connecting tunnel on the 42nd
Street station. I always loved hearing other musicians play
in that "tube". Once there, I lit a white candle and put
out a sign that read "Think Peace". I pulled out a 2.4 that
I made and played Amazing Grace. Within seconds, I heard a
voice sing from the other end. That continued for the next
couple of hours, strangers singing along to the verses. My
bowl went to the Red Cross through my sister-in-law's
matching donations program at her work. People from all
walks of life gave. It was one of the most profound playing
experience of my life.

Best,
Perry