Re: Mailing List Settings

From: Riley Lee (riley@rileylee.net)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 13:27:48 PST

Hang on folks. I believe there is some confusion here.

The choice here is NOT between public or private discussion!!! Changing the
default only means that to send to the list, you have to CHOOSE to send to
the list. Just an extra mouse click or two. Nothing changes with regard to
the public or private nature of the discussions!!!!

Again. The choice is only whether a message is automatically sent to
everyone on the list, or manually sent to everyone on the list.

A message that is worthy of the attention of the entire list certainly
deserves the deliberate intention, however small, of manually choosing 'the
list'.

Here's what happened with Tom and me. I sent a message to the group. Tom
received it, and reasonably thought it was from me (as it was), but thought
it was a personal message. We send personal messages to each other fairly
regularly, so this was a logical assumption, especially as my name appears
in the 'from' box. Tom then replied to me using the reply button. A mistake,
but an easy one to make.

I then assumed that the message from Tom was personal, which in content and
intent it was, and used the reply button again to send my return message to
Tom. It went to the list instead. Another mistake, even easier to make.

Thus two personal messages got sent to the list.

As Bruce says, its simple to avoid this sort of mistake, but difficult to
remember to check the return address of emails, especially when, as was the
case this time, the content of the emails are personal, but incorrectly
addressed!

This means that all of us have to check the reply address of every message
we get from anyone who might also happen to be on the list, in case they
have inadvertently sent us a personal email via the list.

I personally think that the default button should be set to NOT go to the
list. Surely a message for everyone warrants the small effort of manually
sending it to the list.

It is much more likely that the mistake Tom and I made will happen than the
other way around. That is, were the default set the other way around, it is
unlikely that someone would accidentally send a message only to one person
when s/he means to send it to the entire list.

At least, I hope we don't just automatically send messages to the entire
list, without deliberate intention.

Also, in terms of mistakes, the latter, that is sending a public email to
only one person instead of everyone, is much less a mistake than sending a
personal email to the entire list.

The mistake of sending a public email to one person when you meant to send
it to everyone can be easily rectified by sending the message again, to the
list.

The mistake of sending a personal email to the entire list when you meant to
send it to only one person, cannot be rectified.

If as a group, we are too lazy? to manually send our messages to the entire
list, then may I suggest that the 'from' box of all messages sent via the
list be set to automatically show 'shakuhachi list' rather than the name of
the person who sent it. The sender's name can be in the body of the message.

That way, inattentive people like myself will be more likely to realise when
a message is from the group and when it is a personal one.

Best regards, Riley

--

Dr. Riley Lee Sound of Bamboo PO Box 939 Manly NSW 1655 Australia Tel: +61 02 9976 6904 mobile: +61 0414 626 453 www.rileylee.net