Re: [Shaku] Mailing List Settings

From: James Jennings (jennings@megaseattle.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 18:52:09 PST

There is another issue that no one has mentioned yet. There is an
often violated principle of mailing list software that: The software
shall not edit the headers unnecessarily.

In this case, the Reply-To: header already has a purpose. If I send a
message to anyone from one address (from work, for example) but I
want people to send any reply to a different address (my home
account, say) then I put my home e-mail address in the Reply-To:
field and send it off.

However, if I'm sending the message to some mailing list software
that rewrites the Reply-To: header for it's own purposes, then I'm
prevented from using it. Some people consider this a Bad Thing.
Other's say it's the best work around until most mail clients
recognize the List-Post: header.

Personally, I don't have a strong opinion. I'm on a number of lists
which do it different ways and I don't expect them to agree any time
soon. Ultimately, it's a question of what you think defaults are for:
the most common choice or the safest choice. I don't think there's a
right answer to that.

At 8:27 AM +1100 3/27/02, Riley Lee wrote:
>Here's what happened with Tom and me. I sent a message to the group. Tom
>received it, and reasonably thought it was from me (as it was), but thought
>it was a personal message.

Many lists automatically add a tag to the subject line to let people
know it's from a list. Ours might be [Shaku] or [SL] for example.
It's not foolproof, but it's a help.

James