List Maintenance Note (LAST ONE!)

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 13:35:03 PST

Okay, for the time being, the list "Reply-To: line will send
a mail transport agent / list manager that allows both a Sender
and a Reply-To a List-Post header, which would give us the best of
both options.

Meanwhile, we can all do a few things to reduce the load of
exteraneous verbaige flowing through the list (and making the
digests longer and more difficult for folks to sift through).

1. Most helpful: change the preferences or settings on your email
program so that it does not automatically append or forward the
message you are responding to. If you are commenting on something
specific in a message, include those lines. There is rarely a
reason to append the entire text of the previous message to the
end of your message.

2. Consider changing the preferences or settings on your mail
program so that it sends plain text messages and not HTML messages.
(I think there are still lots of folks who use text-only email
programs and even those that don't probably aren't impressed by
markup in email.

3. Resist the temptation to send attachments. If you have a diagram,
put it on the web and add a link to the URL to the bottom of your
message. If you don't have a website, send it to me and I'll stick
it in the archive and give you the URL.

Now, let's get back to discussions more related to what we came here
for.

bj

NOTE NEW TRAILER: