RE: The Spiritual Side

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@prodigy.net)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 18:47:17 PST

--=====================_602500==_.ALT

Thanks Bud - the breeze is just fine - I too need to stop flapping my arms.
I love the little book by Shunryu Zuzuki called "Zen Mind, Beginner's
Mind". In it he quotes Dogen-zenji as saying "To study Buddhism is to study
ourselves. To study ourselves is to forget ourselves." When I play, I
concentrate on "playing" so that I can forget myself - and that to me means
playing with an attentional focus such that there is no room for the inner
voice of questioning introspection - especially the voice that wants to be
my spiritual "Molly Maid". I spent too many years listening to that inner
voice while I was growing up in a fundamentalist evangelical household.
Even if that voice is chattering away - it usually fades out as "playing"
moves up-stage in the theater of consciousness. It's simply a joy to be
"just playing shakuhachi". The voices are gone, and the stage is only
filled with the sounds (focused, fuzzy, hairy, broad, skinny, etc.), the
calm & vigorous breath, and that natural interplay between the flexing and
relaxing fingers, lungs, tongue, jaw, neck, lips . . .

Dan
Shakuhachi Links by Category -
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/links.htm
Zen Flute for Beginners -
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm
My home page - http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/Gutwein/
Family page - http://pages.prodigy.net/dfgutw/family/

--=====================_602500==_.ALT

Thanks Bud - the breeze is just fine - I too need to stop flapping my
arms. I love the little book by Shunryu Zuzuki called &quot;Zen Mind,
Beginner's Mind&quot;. In it he quotes Dogen-zenji as saying &quot;To
study Buddhism is to study ourselves. To study ourselves is to forget
ourselves.&quot; When I play, I concentrate on &quot;playing&quot; so
that I can forget myself - and that to me means playing with an
attentional focus such that there is no room for the inner voice of
questioning introspection - especially the voice that wants to be my
spiritual &quot;Molly Maid&quot;. I spent too many years listening to
that inner voice while I was growing up in a fundamentalist evangelical
household. Even if that voice is chattering away - it usually fades out
as &quot;playing&quot; moves up-stage in the theater of consciousness.
It's simply a joy to be &quot;just playing shakuhachi&quot;. The voices
are gone, and the stage is only filled with the sounds (focused, fuzzy,
hairy, broad, skinny, etc.), the calm &amp; vigorous breath, and that
natural interplay between the flexing and relaxing fingers, lungs,
tongue, jaw, neck, lips . . .<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<i>Dan <br>
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/links.htm=
 href=3D"http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm"=
 eudora=3D"autourl"><font face=3D"Times New Roman,=
 Times">http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm><=
br>
<i>My home page </i>- <a href=3D"
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/Gutwein/"=