Re: The Spiritual Side

From: asl.edwards (asl.edwards@whsmithnet.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 02:13:33 PST

I am more interested in "The Spiritual Side" of the shakuhachi. What this
means to me is simply finding that quiet place within me. As this seems to
be connected to the breath, shakuhachi playing leads me to that place via
the concentration and control of the breath. This for me also ties in with
another recent thread ie shakuhachi vs hochiku, allthough I think "vs" is
not the term we should use. Playing hochiku demands a delicate breath which
for me leads me to that quiet place more directly, as you have to back off
from playing too hard. A good analogy is the difference between excercise
and Tai chi. Tai chi requires the same gentle awareness that hochiku playing
requires. When that awareness is achieved, whatever is there inside you is
revealed.
In listening I find the Hochiku and Meian pieces have a more simple and
profound effect on me then impressive technical pieces from other schools.
For me less ornaments and long simple phrases are the heart of honkyku the
rest is music, which I also love in its own way. So I personally approach
the issue as shakuhachi for music hochiku for awareness.
This is all from my point of view of course.
All the best
Lorne