RE : Scales and Intervals

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@wm.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 07:16:57 PDT

--=====================_2089075==_.ALT

Hi Everyone,

I've read and thought a great deal about this scale stuff, but right now
I'm so busy with end of semester chaos that I cannot possibly write a
summary of the ways in which scales evolved in the West, have been
calculated "by theorists" using ratios, how practice precedes theory, and
how theorists usually throw mathematical nets (mechanistic explanations)
over human behaviors (scales) that are in every case extremely complex
problem-solving strategies that invariably involve influences from multiple
cultures. If you want to get started trying understand how the West's
"recently evolved" (since 15th Cen.) major and minor scales emerged from
early Jewish, Christian, and medieval modes, and how they were modeled on
Greek modes (which by the way were both stepwise, extraordinarily
chromatic, and multicultural), then go to your nearest college music
library and find "Source Readings in Music History" Edited by Oliver
Strunk, published by W.W. Norton and read the first 200 pages.

Dan
Shakuhachi Links by Category -
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/links.htm
Zen Flute for Beginners -
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm
My home page - http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/Gutwein/
Family page - http://pages.prodigy.net/dfgutw/family/

--=====================_2089075==_.ALT

Hi Everyone,<br><br>
I've read and thought a great deal about this scale stuff, but right now
I'm so busy with end of semester chaos that I cannot possibly write a
summary of the ways in which scales evolved in the West, have been
calculated &quot;by theorists&quot; using ratios, how practice precedes
theory, and how theorists usually throw mathematical nets (mechanistic
explanations) over human behaviors (scales) that are in every case
extremely complex problem-solving strategies that invariably involve
influences from multiple cultures.&nbsp; &nbsp; If you want to get
started trying understand how the West's &quot;recently evolved&quot;
(since 15th Cen.) major and minor scales emerged from early Jewish,
Christian, and medieval modes, and how they were modeled on Greek modes
(which by the way were both stepwise, extraordinarily chromatic, and
multicultural), then go to your nearest college music library and find
&quot;Source Readings in Music History&quot; Edited by Oliver Strunk,
published by W.W. Norton and read the first 200 pages. <br>
&nbsp;<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<i>Dan <br>
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/links.htm=
 href=3D"http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm"=
 eudora=3D"autourl"><font face=3D"Times New Roman,=
 Times">http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm><=
br>
<i>My home page </i>- <a href=3D"
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/Gutwein/"=