Re: Scales and Intervals

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 11:38:42 PDT

Peter,

> How about scales which have half steps in them? Obviously there's the
> In-sempo used in honkyoku etc, as well as scales from Okinawa, Indonesia and
> India. How do you see them fitting in to the scheme?

The scheme is more for the creation of flutes (tone-hole location) than
anything else. To write a program for tone-hole calculation I had to come up
with a 'scheme' for the notes. At that point it becomes obvious that the
standard shakuhachi scale is but a tiny subset of a wealth of possibility.
One thing holding back experimentation and exploration is the lack of data
for building five hole flutes and that's what I'm trying to rectify. Without
instruments it's all academic.

Is there a scale and/or note arrangement for which you'd like tone-hole
calculations?

Nelson