Re: Scales and Intervals

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Sat Apr 20 2002 - 15:41:19 PDT

Dan,

> go to your nearest college music library and find "Source Readings in Music
> History" Edited by Oliver Strunk, published by W.W. Norton and read the first
> 200 pages.

Well, I didn't get through the entire 200 pages. Actually, I didn't read the
book at all but your point is well taken. After your prompting I did read
enough elsewhere to get a idea of what you're driving at. That there are
older tunings to which the current Western scale is just a close
approximation. A little time with the calculator produced the following.

To shift a shakuhachi to Just tuning add cents to holes:
1) +16
2) +2
3) +2
4) +18
5) 0

Then the first hole will be tuned to the Minor Third, second hole to Perfect
Fourth, third hole Perfect Fifth, fourth hole Minor Seventh.

Since the limit of melodic musical hearing is around 2 cents the basic
difference between Just and Equal Temperament tunings for the shakuhachi is
the first and fourth holes--tune them sharper by 17 cents. Make these
adjustments and you can hear the difference between these two tuning
systems.

Nelson