Re: Other music for the shakuhachi....

From: Tots Tolentino (tots@quickweb.com.ph)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 06:46:28 PDT

> For instance, has anyone transcribed Indian raga-like
music for the
> shakuhachi? (Assuming that this would be even possible
considering the
> differences in the scales.)

John Kaizan Neptune does some raga influenced music on his
release "Dance for the One In Six. I'm presently
transcribing our own endblown flute: paldong(they look like
shakuhachi on a liquid diet}pieces on shakuhachi. Scales are
possible but , of course, come with a lot of practice.

Tots Tolentino
tots@quickweb.com.ph
http://www.geocities.com/totst

All of the music is out there in the first place, all of
it. From the beginning of time the music was there. All
you have to do is try to get a little piece of it. I
don't care how great you are, you only get a little piece
of it."
 - Dizzy Gillespie, conversation with Nat Hentoff, 1983