RE: Ragas for Shakuhachi

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@shakuhachi.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 02:03:52 PDT

--============_-1192310660==_ma============

I've had the pleasure of meeting Tim Hoffman both here and in Japan.
He and his wife were at my place in Califronia recently for an
extended visit. I will echo Bill's comments. The synthesis of
shakuhachi and Indian raga that Tim has forged is quite remarkable.
The same can be said for his encyclopedic knowledge of Indian and
Hindustani music and language. He lived for many years in remote
locations of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh gleaning from
the source.

Tim has expressed interest in hearing from other players. On the
other hand, he's one of the best kept secrets in the shakuhachi
world. No CDs and limited access due to a busy work and performance
schedule. Just about all of his scholarly writings are in Japanese.
I have encouraged Tim to complete the translation of his book on
shakuhachi and raga into English and put out a recording of his
music. I've put together a small web site for him at
http://www.shakuhachi.com/G-IJMEA.html Contact info can be found on
this page.

Tim Hoffman is quite a character with lots of great stories to tell
and a radical perspective on traditional music. I'm a real fan of
his. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

All the best.

Monty

>I have met Tim Hoffman a few times and heard him give a lecture to one
>of the early Shakuhachi symposiums in Bei sei cho. He said that Indian
>Raga scales come more naturally to the Shakuhachi than the more commonly
>used modes for honkyoku and gaikyoku. If you want more information I
>have Tim Hoffman's e-mail address (can't divulge it to a public list),
>I'll forward your message to him (I don't know if he subscribes to this
>list or not)...He's a very friendly man and will no doubt reply
>directly, he is certainly oobsessed with the marriage of Indian music
>and the Shakuhachi
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Bill O'Connor.

--============_-1192310660==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
Japan. He and his wife were at my place in Califronia recently for an
extended visit. I will echo Bill's comments. The synthesis of
shakuhachi and Indian raga that Tim has forged is quite remarkable.&nbsp;
The same can be said for his encyclopedic knowledge of Indian and
Hindustani music and language. He lived for many years in remote
locations of<font face="Helvetica" color="#000000"> India, Pakistan,
Sri Lanka and Bangladesh</font> gleaning from the source.</div>
other hand, he's one of the best kept secrets in the shakuhachi world.
No CDs and limited access due to a busy work and performance schedule.
Just about all of his scholarly writings are in Japanese.&nbsp; I have
encouraged Tim to complete the translation of his book on shakuhachi
and raga into English and put out a recording of his music.&nbsp; I've
put together a small web site for him at
http://www.shakuhachi.com/G-IJMEA.html Contact info can be found on
this page.</div>
tell and a radical perspective on traditional music. I'm a real fan of
his. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.</div>
heard him give a lecture to one<br>
of the early Shakuhachi symposiums in Bei sei cho.&nbsp; He said that
Indian<br>
Raga scales come more naturally to the Shakuhachi than the more
commonly<br>
used modes for honkyoku and gaikyoku.&nbsp; If you want more
information I<br>
have Tim Hoffman's e-mail address (can't divulge it to a public
list),<br>
I'll forward your message to him (I don't know if he subscribes to
this<br>
list or not)...He's a very friendly man and will no doubt reply<br>
directly, he is certainly oobsessed with the marriage of Indian
music<br>
and the Shakuhachi<br>
Best Regards,<br>
&nbsp;</blockquote>