Shak on Celuloid

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 15:14:42 PDT

>From shakuhachi-request@communication.ucsd.edu Fri Apr 26 19:21:44 2002
>
>I just came across a few more titles that may have image and sound of
>shakuhachi but I've never seen them yet. Maybe someone has?
>
>1..Fue-fuki waka musha (1956)...aka Flute Playing Warrior, The
>(1956) (International: English title)

This might be Fue Fuke Doji - aka "Flute Boy". A popular TV program
in Japan during the 1950s, the theme song for this was written by
Fukuda Rando and is included in the set of his notation available
from Mejiro. According to Masa Yoshizawa, the "flute boy" traveled
around like some cross between Carradine's Kung Fu and Yojimbo,
righting wrongs and playing a fue. It was apparently one of Masa's
favorite shows as a boy.

The piece is short and a lot of fun to play as a warm up. In fact,
it is one of four pieces on the last sheet of Rando notation, all of
which are (or were) theme shongs of one sort or another. Rando
apparently did a lot of writing for TV and radio.

Don't know about the second one tho...

bj

-