Re: Breath

From: Karl Young (kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 15:05:32 PDT

> Make sure that you're inhaling through your nose as well as your
> mouth.

I remember Yokoyama recommending in a workshop that people try to inhale
exclusively through the nose. I still can't do that when actually
playing a piece (and he said he couldn't either due to the structure of
his nose) but I do try to do it when practicing long tones. This seems
to have been some help in at least partially inhaling through my nose
and filling up the lungs a bit faster. And I second Bruce's suggestion
re. learning about Riley's breathing exercises; even if you don't
practice them regularly they're a tremendous aid in learning about
breathing (both physically and psychologically)

-- KY
Karl Young kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC M/S 71 PO Box 20450
Stanford, CA 94309