Re: Breath

From: adam friedma (earthymusic@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 07:37:34 PDT

Hi Everyone,

Great topic! Here are a few ideas that I've found help get air moving.

1. Any attempt to "do" a breathing technique will initially make one think that "Aha! This is the secret to correct/deep breathing." However, after a few repetititions, invariably, you create tension someplace and then end up restricting your breathing.

2. Lung capacity peaks at about 18 years of age and then decreases as you get older. This process is natural and unavoidable. Breathing guru and tubist Arnold Jacobs likens the change to gradually having a "shorter bow" on a string instrument. To make music, you just have to change the bow direction (i.e. breathe) more often.

3. To breathe as fully as possible we need to be as open and loose as possible. Watch carefully that the arms aren't pinned to the sides. Also, slumping, leaning, tense legs, etc. all tend to stifle and frustrate the breath.

4. Experiment with the idea of using "thick" air for depth and solidity of tone and fast air speed for volume. Fast air also seems to speed up one's inhalation. Also, watch that you don't hold the air in the throat before exhaling. I like to try to imagine the transition from inhalation to exhalation like a swinging door.

5. In my opinion, Arnold Jacobs teachings have many gems that every wind player should check out. The link below includes a great deal of information. In particular, check up the 1973 Tuba workshop lectures link: two hour long audio files that address lung capacity, Jacobs concept of wind-song etc. http://www.windsongpress.com/jacobs/jacobs.htm

May the breath be with you!

Adam Friedman