Re: Breath

From: Peter H (bamboomuse@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 03:59:46 PDT

Nelson, thanks for those links! Excellent info. Riley Lee's exercises are very good too; listen to
one of his CD's and you can surmise he's doing something right when he can blow
40-second-plus-long phrases. Regular aerobic exercise helps too, but playing hard can be a form of
that.
Doing nose-neti helps, but even with clear nasal passages mouth-breathing is faster for me. I've
reduced my intake of mucous-producing foods (cut out dairy completely) about ten years ago, and
the first year my nose ran constantly, after which my nasal passages became and have remained much
clearer than ever before. This isn't a dietary mailing list but I mention it because I highly
recommend eating a traditional Japanese diet as a way to improve one's
traditional-Japanese-instrument playing :-).

PH