breath

From: markm@naropa.edu
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 18:50:05 PDT

Maybe this thread is getting old, but I've been out of town and I'd
like
to add one thing about breath. The jazz pianist Kenny Werner
points out in his wonderful book Effortless Mastery,
that breath is affected by the mind (what isn't?) If you lack
confidence
in your efforts, subconsciously you will be prone to shallow
breathing.
That is, if you are concerned or afraid regarding the product of
your
playing you will tend not to make a full and relaxed inhalation
because
you're not
really sure you want to hear what happens on the exhalation.
This is
an obvious but subtle truth. To breathe fully, relax and don't be
too
concerned about the outcome. Just breathe and blow.

For all you Soto Zen Buddhists, what would we call this
practice?
"Shikantasui"? (Sorry).

Mark Miller

This message sent using EMUmail -- http://www.emumail.com

Jumping through hoops to get E-mail on the road?
You've got two choices: Join the circus, or use MollyMail.

Molly Mail -- http://www.mollymail.com