Jinashi restoration

From: Patterson Clark (clarkp@washpost.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 17:54:34 PDT

An old jinashi shakuhachi recently fell into my hands and I am curious
about whether or not it would benefit from a slight restoration.
  It isn't cracked, but the light coating of lacquer on the inside has worn
away from the top and bottom two inches of the flute, exposing the bamboo
bore.
  I have no idea how long it's been since it was last played, or how long
it lay at the bottom of a pile of castoff shakuhachis in a Kyoto antique
shop, so I hesitate to play it for long or humidify it too thoroughly.
  Any suggestions?
  Patterson