RE : ro-buki

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@prodigy.net)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 06:38:03 PDT

--=====================_987580==_.ALT

Hi List,

I did 10 min. of Ro for every 1 hour of practice for about 10 months, and
then for a couple of months, I think out of my own eagerness to fix my
problem areas and learn new music in a "time efficient" manner, I started
using scales and other interval patterns with the same sort of attention to
breathing, lips, and sound quality. I have recently returned to using only
Ro. After 10 min. of Ro I return to using scales via
interval-patterns. The whole warmup takes about 20 min. (No longer than
the warmup I used to do when I used to race bicycles.) I've rediscovered
that using only Ro for 10 min. produces a more focused meditative
concentration, but that the other otsu pitches (esp. TSU and RE) seem to
get better as a result. There might not be a difference in the minds of
someone listening to me -- but there is a difference in my mind, and
ultimately that's what matters to me.

Dan
Shakuhachi Links by Category -
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/links.htm
Zen Flute for Beginners -
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm
My home page - http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/Gutwein/
Family page - http://pages.prodigy.net/dfgutw/family/

--=====================_987580==_.ALT

Hi List,<br><br>
I did 10 min. of Ro for every 1 hour of practice for about 10 months, and
then for a couple of months, I think out of my own eagerness to fix my
problem areas and learn new music in a &quot;time efficient&quot; manner,
I started using scales and other interval patterns with the same sort of
attention to breathing, lips, and sound quality.&nbsp; I have recently
returned to using only Ro.&nbsp;&nbsp; After 10 min. of Ro I return to
using scales via interval-patterns.&nbsp; The whole warmup takes about 20
min.&nbsp; (No longer than the warmup I used to do when I used to race
bicycles.)&nbsp; I've rediscovered that using only Ro for 10 min.
produces a more focused meditative concentration, but that the other otsu
pitches (esp. TSU and RE) seem to get better as a result.&nbsp; There
might not be a difference in the minds of someone listening to me -- but
there is a difference in my mind, and ultimately that's what matters to
me.<br><br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
<i>Dan <br>
http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm" eudora="autourl"><font face="Times New Roman, Times">http://www.wm.edu/CAS/music/gutwein/Shakuhachi/WMshakuhachi.htm><br>