Re: ro-buki

From: ribbled@med.kochi-ms.ac.jp
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 20:15:34 PDT

Hello all,

     I've been doing the ro-buki ten minutes a day fairly consistently over
the last year or year and a half.. I think it has helped contribute to a
fuller sound and better breath control...the ability to play longer
tones...on my part.. If I don't have time to do anything else I just play
ro, though I'll sometimes vary the last five minutes, playing a scale or
other warm up exercise using long tones. My Japanese nephew, also a
shakuhachi player, was recently playing ro-buki for about 30 minutes a day
for three or fourmonths straight before he started practicing his gaikyoku
pieces; he began to develop a noticeably bigger sound.. One of the
professional players in our ryuha, Suzuki Teido sensei, once commented that
when he first started learning the shakuhachi, the only note he played for
the first six months was ro...for six hours a day. If we could only fit in
that sort of quality time I'm sure we'd all make great progress...

Dan Ribble
Kochi, Japan