Re: Finding a Shakuhachi & Monty's Flutes

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 18:08:48 PDT

I've been following this thread for a while. So it is now my turn to throw in
two cents. I've been playing one of Monty's flutes for about five months. I
think it is great.

I think that one should play a cast bore for a time to appreciate it. They do
have advantages expoxy resin being one of them. ( it tends not to crack
easily)

In the short time I've been playing (7 months) I'm really surprised at the
snobery that exists. Can you easily tell a 1,000,000 yen flute from a
100,000-yen flute? No! But you can tell a shiney cast bore for a lacquered
bore.

A good Flute is a Good flute regardless how it is made. However, a bad player
can make the best sound like junk. (I Would venture to say that a great
player can make a piece of junk only sound a little better.)

Back to my 1.8 root end cast bore. It has two major features: It has a large
sound due to a larger exit bore, It is also light weight. These seem to be
features missing on many non-cast bore shakuhachis.

I think the real issue is the quality of the music we make not the model/
maker of the shakuhachi.

Best to all
Dominic