Re: flute id

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 07:59:30 PDT

<P>Hi Tots.</P>
<P>When I was travelling towards Yakushina, an island south off Kagoshima in Kyushu, I stopped by a friend's place, who&nbsp;has got a restaurant called Calcutta in Kumamoto. There I met a guy that made shakuhachi. He had carved a lotus and a Buddha on the 3 shakuhachi he showed me. He was not a professional player, but made really nice shakuhachis.&nbsp;He was&nbsp;selling them to friends and maybe also at markets in Kumamoto and other places in Kyushu. I can't remember his name, but can maybe find it if I look through my address books or contact my friend with the restaurant. I will probably go to Kyushu when I go to Japan this summer. I can try to find out then. Tell me if you're in a hurry.</P>
<P>Best wishes Kiku<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Tots Tolentino" <TOTS@QUICKWEB.COM.PH>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "Shakuhachi" <SHAKUHACHI@COMMUNICATION.UCSD.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: flute id
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:57:38 +0800
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Hi all,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;A friend of mine acquired through inheritance a shakuhachi.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Root end and plays nice. Aside from the maker mark there is
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a figure of Buddha sitting on a lotus plant. Does this give
<DIV></DIV>&gt;any clue to the maker? I don't have access to digital
<DIV></DIV>&gt;photography but will try to get a photo of the maker mark
<DIV></DIV>&gt;scanned.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Any leads will do and thanks for all replies.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Tots Tolentino
<DIV></DIV>&gt;tots@quickweb.com.ph
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.geocities.com/totst
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;All of the music is out there in the first place, all of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;it. From the beginning of time the music was there. All
<DIV></DIV>&gt;you have to do is try to get a little piece of it. I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;don't care how great you are, you only get a little piece
<DIV></DIV>&gt;of it."
<DIV></DIV>&gt; - Dizzy Gillespie, conversation with Nat Hentoff, 1983
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;