Re: summer camp

From: jeremy bornstein (jeremy@jeremy.org)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 10:35:22 PDT

This seems relevant to something which happened earlier this week.

The Parkway is a movie theater in Oakland that plays mostly second-run
movies. They have couches in addition to the regular movie-type
seats, and you can order pizza and beer to eat while you watch the
movies. For the early two showings on Monday nights, they welcome
people with babies under a year old. Since November, that's us, and
we really enjoy being able to see a movie together.

Since the event is very popular, we sometimes go early in order to get
a couch. This past Monday we arrived a full hour before the
showing--ridiculously early. I carry my shakuhachi everywhere, in a
case over my shoulder, so that I may practice whenever I find the
opportunity. The theatre was empty, so I got up on stage and played
some music for Heather while our son slept in her lap.

She told me that it was by far the best thing she'd ever heard me
play. (She normally does not enjoy my shakuhachi practice or very
much of my playing.) My hypothesis is that this is because I was
actually playing FOR her as opposed to practicing near her. Or it
could have just been the reverb in the theatre.

-jeremy

--
                  jeremy bornstein <jeremy@bornstein.org>
                                    -*-