SUMMER SHAKUHACHI INTENSIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO

From: Karl Young (kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 18:25:25 PDT

SUMMER SHAKUHACHI INTENSIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO

 A week long Summer Intensive Shakuhachi study session will be
offered by Michael Chikuzen Gould in San Francisco from August 9~16.
The session will start with two full days of workshops on the 10/11th
(sat./sun.), at least two private lessons during the week, followed by a
joint "concert" of all participants (group and solo works) on friday
evening (venue to be announced) and also a joint concert in Sacramento
(for those who can make it) on Sunday the 18th which will be a Charity
fundraiser for the Crossroads Treatment Center, a residential treatment
facility for abused and neglected adolescent females who are unable to
live at home. We will be joined at the Sacramento concert by Shoko
Hikage on the Koto and are planning a fun evening with other artists
(non shakuhachi type) friends and family members. I have been lucky to
play several times for the girls and they love the sound of the
shakuhachi. I look forward to this evening very very much. The lessons
and workshops will be held at Karl Young's house, 309 31st Ave., SF.
The price for the two days of workshops, two private lessons, friday
night "concert" and sunday "concert" will be $150. Additional private
lessons will be $25. a lesson during the week with no limit on the
number of sessions. Those wishing to attend only the weekend workshops
can do so for a price of $100. A major focus during the workshops will
be a method for "How to Practice" to be able to play Honkyoku. This is
quite easy to understand and after the initial explanation, I will be
more of a coach, leading you through exercises that help you personally
and immediately benefit. The weekend workshops will be 9~12am, a lunch
break and a 2~5pm session. If anyone desires, a later session is also
possible. I will be using Shin Koku , Shin Mukaiji, Tamuke and Shika No
Tohne (Yokoyama Katsuya version). We will, of course, learn how to play
these songs but that will come through using them to illustrate how to
practice to be able to play them. Shin Koku and Shin Mukaiji can be
played at a beginner, intermediate and advanced levels, so everyone can
join. Other songs will be be given consideration upon request.
        To register for camp, please contact Karl Young at 415-750-9463 or
Michael Gould at 734-669-0807 (h) or 313-600-2610 (c).

-- KY
Karl Young kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC M/S 71 PO Box 20450
Stanford, CA 94309