Re: Flute

From: Tim Cassler (tim@toolbox.net)
Date: Mon Jul 22 2002 - 06:20:20 PDT

Hello everybody!

Well....since we are on the subject of PVC flutes, I thought I might share a
little success story that I recently had. The following is a correspondence
that I sent to Daniel Soergel, after some hit and miss attempts at producing
a 2.4 with 1" PVC, (not 3/4"). I wanted a bigger sound....anyway, here's the
formula I ended up with through trial, error and some good advice from
Daniel!

I took this flute to class one night, and Martha and I played through
"Kyoeri" together, she played her bamboo 2.4 and I played mine, and it is
remarkably in pitch. The #2 hole is a tad sharp, but I'll adjust that with
the next one. Recently, Stan Richardson played it when I was in Dallas for
the Intensive with Kurashi-sensei, and I actually heard Stan getting some of
the upper register on it, which I've had some difficulty doing, but now at
least I know it can happen. Stan also suggested sharpening up the blowing
edge a bit, which I will also work on with the next ones I make. I'm also
going to try Tom's bit of wisdom and try bending, or widening the opening at
the end of the flute.

Sorry for the length....but I hope that some of you might get some benefit
or interest out of what Daniel and I shared with each other......here
goes....

Hello again Daniel!

Well...after heeding your advice, I was successful yesterday with coming up
with a good 2.4 PVC flute that is in pitch!! I ended up using some 1"
though, instead of the 1 1/4". After I started looking at it again, the 1
1/4" just seemed a bit too big in circumference. However....I am going to
try and glue a piece of 1" inside a piece of 1 1/4" just to see what I come
up with.

I also sanded down a piece of 3/4" and actually did fit it into a piece of
1", but it was tough going, and I have not yet tried to drill the holes. It
is a nice thick pipe, though. I'm going to try that route again also and see
what the 2.4 sounds like with double the wall thickness.

Here are the measurements for my 2.4: (holes are +/- a mm)

The flute is 28 1/2 inches long
#1 hole - C: 21 3/4"
#2 hole - D: 19 1/8"
#3 hole - E: 16 5/8"
#4 hole - G: 13 5/16"
#5 hole - A: 11 5/8"

All measurements are from the very top edge of the flute, not the foot. I
initially cut a 32" piece of pipe, then made my mouthpiece. It is not a
coupling. I fashioned the utaguchi by making the first long cut, then coming
back and making the blowing edge cut. Clamping the pipe down with some cooI,
padded 'quick-grips' from Home Depot was incredibly helpful when cutting! I
sanded for symmetry and rounded edges after that. Then I cut off 1" pieces
until my holeless pipe was in the key of 'A'. I actually set up a microphone
and plugged it into my chromatic tuner and went an inch at a time until I
got to 'A'. I think I actually had to make a 1/2" cut at the last.

I determined the position of the first hole by taking the position of a hole
on a previous 'bad' flute that is in the key of 'C'. It took a couple tries
to get a good consistent 'C', then after that, I pretty much used the
relationship of the other holes that I had before, and things fell together.
The holes are drilled with a 3/*" bit, but I really 'round out' the holes
with it, then come back with a small rounded file and smooth the edges.

Next I'm going to work on getting a piece of 3/4" sanded down enough to
drive into a piece of 1" and make a 2.4 with a thicker wall. That'll be
interesting!

Thanks a bunch for your advice! You really helped me get this flute done,
and I hope that you might try this yourself!

Tim Cassler
Toolbox Studios, Inc.
454 Soledad, Suite 100
San Antonio, TX 78205