Seiza sitting position... ouch... "Hello, legs?"

From: Derek Choice / Funk Logic (dvc@funklogic.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 09:08:59 PDT

--Boundary_(ID_hgRywnFB8re+Eou0Y6MiUg)

Please forgive what may be a very common question, though I have searched the list archives and could not find any info, nor is there too much on the web.

Committing myself to this wonderful instrument for "life's duration", I really want to explore all aspects of it, one of which is the Seiza position. Apparently, it is common for Westerners, and others, to understandably experience their legs falling asleep after short periods of time. I concur!

Does the proper positioning of a pillow, or any other technique, seem to allow progress and a conditioning for this position? Or, do a lot of players eventually migrate to a chair for most practice sessions? Alternatives?

As not to flood everyone's email with repeated thanks to any replies, I will extend a very gracious thanks to all, in advance... "Thank You!".

:)

Derek Choice

--Boundary_(ID_hgRywnFB8re+Eou0Y6MiUg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><BR><FONT face=Arial size=2>Please forgive what may be a very common
question, though I have searched the list archives and could not find any info,
nor is there too much on the web.<BR><BR>Committing myself to this wonderful
instrument for "life's duration", I really want to explore all aspects of it,
one of which is the Seiza position.&nbsp; Apparently, it is common for
Westerners, and others, to understandably experience their legs falling asleep
after short periods of time.&nbsp; I concur!<BR><BR>Does the proper positioning
of a pillow, or any other technique, seem to allow progress and a conditioning
for this position?&nbsp; Or, do&nbsp;a lot of players eventually migrate to a
chair for most practice sessions?&nbsp; Alternatives?<BR><BR>As not to flood
everyone's email with repeated thanks to any replies, I will extend a very
gracious thanks to all, in advance... "Thank You!".<BR><BR>:)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Derek Choice<BR><BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_hgRywnFB8re+Eou0Y6MiUg)--