RE: Seiza sitting position... ouch... "Hello, legs?"

From: Bud (bud@rajah.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 07:21:50 PDT

I won't get into it in detail and will avoid a long rant, but I think it is
time to let go of the militaristic approach and sit in comfortable positions
that are not physically damaging or painful, and allow students to enjoy the
meditation practices...

If this means letting go of some traditional forms, my apologies to some of
the more insistent teachers, but over 30 years of practice and watching the
physical damage and negative impact on meditation practice to many students
has convinced me that this is necessary, at least in the West.

Meditation practice should not be about pain in the legs. We should practice
meditation because it feels good and improves the quality of our lives...
pain is a natural warning that something is wrong in our approach.

Brett "Bud" Breitwieser (brettb@rajah.com)
Zen Site: http://zenbud.com
Rajah Networking: http://rajah.net
Walking, Trike, Greens: http://rajah.ws