Re: Seiza sitting position... ouch... "Hello, legs?"

From: Dave Stevenson (dave.stevenson@durham.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 07:52:28 PDT

You can choose to follow a tradition or not. Sure sit,stand lie down or hang from
the ceiling (not tried this last one yet) whatever you prefer. I don't know anyone
who says you MUST sit in seiza to play/study/meditate. Please correct me if I'm
wrong on this.

My personal choice is standing, seiza or 1/2 lotus with a zafu or bench depending
on where I happen to be with the bamboo. I find that sitting in a chair makes it
more difficult to breathe from the centre and contributes to back and neck pain.
Sitting seiza helps me keep my back straight and breathe more easily. I wouldn't
like to advise anyone how to sit but however one chooses to "sit" I think you
should encourage your body to adopt that position rather than coerce it.

In reposnse to:-

Bud wrote:

> I won't get into it in detail and will avoid a long rant, but I think it is
> time to let go of the militaristic approach and sit in comfortable positions
> that are not physically damaging or painful, and allow students to enjoy the
> meditation practices...

snip