Re: Sitting positions, tradition

From: Derek Choice (dvc@funklogic.com)
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 07:55:15 PDT

--Boundary_(ID_38db0FB+7KXh+dLR3MFzhA)

Hey Brett...

I am sure this topic will open up a huge thread of viewpoints, and that's a good thing. It's been a little slow recently anyway.

I do agree that the primary approach to meditation should be on one's own terms, since it's benefits are intrinsicly unique to each one us. For me , I would say 70% of my 3-4 hour per day practice is spent reclined back in a chair, with my feet up, working on my embouchure for specific notes, grace notes, learning the notation, etc. I do, though, make a conscious effort to assure that the vertical positioning of the flute is in-line with how it will be in the sitting position, so the learning won't have to be shifted when sitting.

Since I have chosen to approach the Shakuhachi completely, the other 30% is spent in the traditional position and sitting upright. For my very novice abilities, I do notice a little difference in something when in the Seiza. It is probably subjectively perceived, but nonetheless, the body of tone and encompassing mood seem more pronounced. That is, until I have to wiggle blood back into my legs, thus your point.

I wonder if it is "tradition only", and not factual, when a specific alignment of the body helps to move things beyond our physical state, be it "chakras", or whatever (a bit out of my element here). If even for fleeting moments here and there during pratice, I think the traditional approach is worth exploring for every individual seeking a potential something that may be gradually disappearing in our modern, sometimes misdirected cultures. Meaning, maybe there is a very valid, non-cultural reason certain sitting positions were adopted. Honestly, I don't know, but yourself and many others undoubtedly have far more meditation and instrument experience than I do, and probably understand things much more clearly.

I do enjoy the pursuit and, so far, the lttle gifts along the path. I agree, if physical pain becomes an issue, change what you are doing and find another way. Let the instrument be the guide.

:)

Humbly,

dvc

Derek Choice