Re: Seiza sitting position... ouch... "Hello, legs?"

From: KYOSEI1@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 08:15:42 PDT

If sitting in any position on a cushion is a problem you can be a Buddha
sitting on a chair.

I teach meditation practice to a number of groups. Some of the people I work
with can't sit on cushions at all, they all sit on chairs.

When I started sitting at the monastery, I thought I had to sit on a cushion
on the floor. After three days of sitting I was about to take off for the
parking lot and go home.

In interview I questioned the teacher about sitting on the floor, he smiled
and said sit on a chair, it was that simple.

Today I change positions as necessary. I may start in the morning sitting
half lotus (it's more like eight lotus) and by the evening I move to a chair.

It's no big deal, the idea is to sit, just sit.

Phil Kyosei Kolman