Re: shakuhachi V1 #124

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 17:22:10 PDT

 Greeting Claire,

If you haven't heard from anyone else, Welcome! I have been playing for about
8 months so alot is new to me as well. Don't be put off by the discussions.
Sometimes they do get a bit heated.

To answer your question, "What is seiza?" It is a traditional way of sitting
in a kneeling position, feet underneath you, and with your body being erect.
It comes from Zen meditation. Some people sit on little benches some on a
zafu (pillow).

I have been studying with a teacher and I would recommend that you do as
well.. You can find a list of teachers at Monty Levenson's site http://
www.shakuhachi.com BTW I do recommend his flutes. I have two and they sound
great.

Be aware there are different schools of shakuhachi the most popular are Kinko
and Tozan, however there are other less popular ones. I am a Tozan student
(possibly the only one in New York). Ask your prospective teacher a lot of
questions.

Good Luck It takes time to become a good player. Don't give up.

Dominic Cammarota