Re: meditation and haiku was Re: Chikuzan

From: Karl Young (kyoung@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 13:52:31 PDT

You may be amused to know that Claude Shanon once made an estimate of
the entropy (or "information density" if you like) in "typical English"
(not terribly well defined) and as I recall it was somewhere around 2
bits per letter. Also as I recall there have been more recent attempts
(Shanon did that work around 1950) to estimate the information per
character in Chinese but I forget the figure. This is all a bit academic
though as it ignore semantic content. Now how about the information per
second in a "typical" honkyoku piece...

--
Karl Young    kyoung@slac.stanford.edu
SLAC  M/S 71  PO Box 20450