RE: shakuhachi V1 #133

From: Bart Reinier (Bart@Reinier.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 20:22:33 PDT

I participate in this list with bowed head.

I enjoy the conversations and especially have enjoyed the "haiku" these past
few days.

The comments about using Shakuhachi in group meditation, prompt me to write.
I am a beginner, but, for a week, twelve kayak paddlers insisted that I play
every evening, particularly as they were settling into their sleeping bags
to "meditate" about the day and drift off to sleep.

A couple of weeks ago, when paddling the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior
with a group from the Cleveland, Ohio, area, I had the rather unique
opportunity to sit in my kayak in sea caves and play my flute. While
perhaps not exactly traditional, playing Shakuhachi in the caves,
accompanied by the random percussion of the waves thunking and chunking into
the pockets and crevasses deep inside the caves, was mysteriously beautiful
and soothing. I had earlier been astounded when, in camp the first evening,
I pulled out my new flute and began playing quietly for my own enjoyment and
heard one of my paddling companions call out, "Is that a Shakuhachi?" He
was equally astounded to hear Shakuhachi on an island in Lake Superior.

I became aware of the Shakuhachi at an art fair and purchased three practice
grade flutes during a period of about five years, knowing diddly-squat abut
the true nature and breadth of the Shakuhachi tradition and the instrument.
My goal is personal relaxation and meditation. I knew, however, that I was
limited in my ability to achieve the level of playing I desired, both within
myself and with the instruments I had. My explorations of Shakuhachi
related web sites led me to purchase the Ichiyo Shakuhachi Manual, Volumes I
& II, with accompanying cassettes, from Tom Deaver. Tom's kind responses to
my inquiries helped me decide how I was going to proceed in this new
experience. Michael Gould agreed to accept me as a student (I live just 2.5
hours driving time from him) and I spent a good part of the weekend of June
29 & 30 at Michael's home in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I can't be appreciative
enough of Michael's commitment of his time and attention to broadening my
awareness and understanding of the Shakuhachi instrument, the environment in
which it evolved and is now played, and its traditions. He spent several
hours instructing me in playing. Subsequently, on July 24, Michael helped
me select a new flute. Although it was priced in the "student" grade range;
in my most humble opinion I believe it must compare very favorably with many
"professional" grade instruments. This is the "new" instrument I played
four days later on the islands.

I apologize for boring anyone, but I am captivated by Shakuhachi and wanted
to share these experiences. While I know I will not be able to approach the
levels of knowledge and playing of the vast majority of participants on this
list, (there just isn't that much time left) I intend to improve as much as
I can. I don't wish to offend anyone by appearing disrespectful of any
aspect of Shakuhachi, but most important to me at this stage of life, is
enjoying my experiences with Shakuhachi to the fullest. Thanks to everyone
who has created or posted to Shakuhachi related web sites and who
participate on this list. I have learned a great deal from all of you and
you contributed substantially to my decision to further pursue Shakuhachi.
My special thanks to Tom and Michael who have made me feel very welcome.
Each has extended himself much beyond what I expected.

Back to lurking

Bart

G. Hobart (Bart) Reinier
Harrod, OH 45850