RE: shakuhachi V1 #133

From: ribbled@med.kochi-ms.ac.jp
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 19:42:55 PDT

Hi Bart,

             Playing in the sea caves with the random percussion
accompaniment of waves...it sounds like the perfect place for shakuhachi..
I think Riley Lee has a CD out where he plays in the Jenolan caves in the
Blue Mountains.... I've recently been listening to one of his recordings
made in a reservoir, with the sound of water dripping in the
background..... nothing from a sea kayak, however. For me it is always
more satisfying to play the shakuhachi out-of-doors, preferably out in the
wild somewhere or perhaps just at the edge of town; I was playing on a
cliffside overlooking a small village in the Yorkshire Dales a number of
evenings right before dusk over a two week period earlier this summer with
only sheep for an audience, I thought. Later I found out that the
drifting sound of the flute could be heard far below by people sitting
outside the local pub. Good luck in your search for meditative expression
and interesting places to play the shakuhachi.....

Cheers,

Dan Ribble
Kochi, Japan