Re: Sode no Tsuyu?

From: Thomas W Hare (thare@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 18:53:15 PDT

"Sode no tsuyu" means "dew upon the sleeve." It's an old poetic image which
often implies a comparison between dew and tears, and envisions a subject
speaking about his or her long silk sleeves bedecked with tears. The tears are
often seen to reflect the image of the moon, which in its turn harbors a broad
range of poetic and religious associations. I don't know the text of Sode no
tsuyu, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it concerned a lonely woman
reminiscing about a past love affair under the light of the moon.

Best,
Tom Hare