Music as Language

From: Reid . (reid1898@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 12:43:56 PDT

I would be interested in getting thoughts from this group regarding music as
language.

I have always heard that music is an international language, but I always
interpreted that on a superficial level (e.g., western notation is studied
and understood in most of the world). However, I was recently reading some
books regarding linguistics, the deaf and aphasia, and I now better
understand that language is not just for communicating with others, but is
also the tool for thinking. I am therefore returning to the "koan" about
music being a language. For example, what constitutes a language? Is it
meaningful to consider music a language? Does it relate to language in the
more typical meaning of the term?

I just wanted to know if others have had any thoughts or insights in this
regard, especially since the music this group works with is outside the
western patterns of music. This, of course, is a large part of the appeal
of shakuhachi music to me. Also, the fact that the shakuhachi tradition
recognizes the core value is not necessarily performing for others (so it is
more like thought than communication, in a language connotation).

Thanks.