RE : Music as Language

From: Bruno Deschênes (musis@videotron.ca)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 14:20:36 PDT

Dear Read,

A lot has been published on the matter in the musicological and
psychology of music literature. Even the French ethnomusicologist Claude
Levi-Strauss wrote a book on that.

I have some hesitation about that because this notion of music as
language is typical Western. By trying to apply to Japanese and
shakuhachi music, we will be making assumptions and drawing conclusions
that are external to his native and cultural sources and backgrounds.
For example, there was a discussion a couple of months ago about scales
in shakuhachi music. This was interesting but at the same time
misleading because shakuhachi music and even the shakuhachi are not
based on scale. Scale is a typically Western principle that appeared
after the advent of the tempered scale in the 17th century. Applying
this principle of scale to Japanese music is applying something which
makes no sense to it, based on its origin, source and background. We
might end up doing the samething with music as language.

Yet, I think it is a good ground for a better understanding of music. We
have to be careful not to be ethnocentric...

=20
Bruno Desch=EAnes
T=E9l.: (514) 277-4665 * Fax: (514) 844-5498
E-mail: musis@videotron.ca