Re: Music as Language

From: Phil James (phil@sparklingbeatnik.com)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 15:07:34 PDT

On one level, "music as language" is one of those subjects perfect for
trivial academic discussion and obfuscation, since it is easy to define
language in such a way that music is an example. But I'm sure there is also
plenty of solid and easy-to-find research in neuroscience on what cognitive
and language-specific brain centers and neural pathways are activated when
listening to or performing music. This would provide the clearest empirical
clarification of what ways music is similar to language, logicical
reasoning, etc.

Equally interesting and certainly more accessible to amateurs, however, is
the study of how a particular musical vocabulary derives from the natural
spoken language patterns of the parent culture. European rhythmic "quanta,"
the duple rhythm, the triplet, the dotted rhythm, and the reverse dotted
rhythm, are also the essiential rhythmic units of European spoken languages.
The evenly-plodding phrases in European music mimic the strophic patterns of
European verse, since everything starts from song. I am no expert on spoken
Japanese, but it is immediately clear that the unstressed and uneven
phrasing of Japanese music is derived from natural Japanese language. One
could extend this, I'm sure, to the study of the overall form of entire
compositions, to pitch, etc. etc.