Re: RE : Music as Language

From: Ralf Muhlberger (ralf@muhlberger.com)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 21:43:41 PDT

On Monday, Sep 9, 2002, at 13:48 Australia/Brisbane, Dan Gutwein wrote:

> I shouldn't be responding to this merely because it's 11:48 p.m. and
> I'm out on my feet - and because I teach a course in "Music and Mind"
> to undergraduates - but really shouldn't be doing so because I don't
> publish in the area - anyway here goes.

Would love to hear more about what that course entails :-)

> The harder one looks at questions such as these, the less one is
> convinced that there are significant overlaps between "linguistic
> experience" and music-reading, music-listening, or music-producing.
> So, to what extent does speech/language-based analysis occur during
> playing and listening to music? My guess is that it varies depending
> on the training (i.e. life experience) of the person in question. The
> training will determine the extent to which the brain fires off
> lateral associations (cross-knowledge-base brain activity) during
> visual/lexical/symbolic/aural perception. Of course, the intensity of
> these associations will enrich the meaning for the individual.

A question that strikes me, then, is to compare music to language as
expressions of, correspondingly, emotional state vs intellectual or
symbolic state.

I don't teach music, nor mind, but information modeling... :-)

Ralf

  Dr Ralf Muhlberger, Lecturer
  Information Technology & Electrical Engineering
  The University of Queensland Qld 4072 Australia
  e: ralf@itee.uq.edu.au p: +61 7 3365 3476 f: +61 7 3365 4999