Re: RE : Music as Language

From: Phil James (phil@sparklingbeatnik.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 07:30:08 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_0117_01C257E3.7D1F2120
        charset="iso-8859-1"

>that music was anything but immediately understandable, and that you =
needed
>grounding in a culture at least, and in some cases a quite explicit =
training, to
>"understand" music.

Yep, excellent point. It took me YEARS to get anything much out of jiuta =
music -- now it's one of my favorite traditions. While some music has a =
certain immediate accessibility, for instance honkyoku, I think it is =
only through long deep study--or constant immersion--that we really come =
to terms with it.
  ----- Original Message -----=20